Thursday, November 29, 2007

The Day of Shattered Glass

Yesterday was a bummer of a day. Before getting to work on the kitchen I thought I'd better install the temporary window in the attic. The weather forecast said that it would start getting colder within the next few days and I figured now was as good a time as any.

We are installing a temporary window because the replacement one will need to be special ordered AND we will have to remove part of the outside window casing to put it in. Because of this we thought it would be better to install the custom window at the same time we paint the house.

Anyway, while I was up in the attic I figured I'd better check the other windows to make sure they were tight and had no wind coming in. I also decided to clean the windows to get some pics of the view from each one (I'll post those latter).

Well, the west-facing window was so dirty I just took it out to clean it. While doing this I noticed just how bad the glass was. There were a couple of cracks and it was so dirty the glass had become discolored. So I cleaned it as best I could, took the pic (Figured the pic would be better without the dirty window) and reinstalled it. While putting it back in, and reattaching the stays, I thought to myself "next Spring I will need to replace the glass".

As I walked away the dang thing just fell out! Glass went every where and the cats ran for cover.

So, I now had two open window wells in the attic and it was 3 in the afternoon. The lumberyard closed at 4 so I had to hurry.

To shorten the story up a bit, I had the new glass installed by 6:30 and the temp window installed an hour latter.

Oh well...on to the pics!

This is the north-facing window well.

To our knowledge there has never been a window here; the previous owners had a large fan instead.

Do you see that piece of paneling covering the hole? That is a sample of the paneling they used in both bathrooms when they remodeled them around '73. Ugly isn't it? In case you can't tell, it's a bronze metallic on a gold background.

There's the opening, sans paneling.

I'll show you the view later.

BTW - this is where my painting table is going to go.

Window installed!!!

All that needs done now is the trim pieces put up. I hope to get that done this weekend.

SWMBO, as well as myself, were amazed at just how much light this window added!!!

Oh!! The horror!!

Can you believe it landed like that and stayed balanced?!

New glass installed....

New window installed!

Done....for now anyway....

No comments: