Wednesday, February 27, 2008

House Name

As most of you know, I'm trying to come up with a suitable name to call the place. Most of the advice I've been give suggests finding a feature about the property or naming it after the owner.

Well, we do not know who, or when, the house was actually built and so far the possible builder are Abner Kerns (he owned the property in 1875) and James Mordy (who we think built the house as we see it now.

Today I reason to look at a topographical map of our little town. When I zoomed in on our house there was the 'feature' staring right at me! Our house is sitting on a low hill, or a 'knoll'. It is about the only one left in town and ours is noticeable (remember the steps leading down to the street?).

Here is part of the topo map. I outlined our 'knoll' in red. That little black square is our place.

Sadly, the only part of the knoll that still exists is the part on our property.

The big black square with the flag is the old school. It too sat on a low hill but it was leveled out to make the new school and parking lot.

Here's a better view.


I have a couple of house names in mind now that I've seen this little hill on the topo map. I'll see what SWMBO has to say about it and then let you all know.

For some reason she doesn't seem to be as enthused as I am about a house name; not sure why. All the really cool houses have names so why shouldn't ours? Besides, we've always been known for marching to the beat of a different drum so something like naming the house is not really out of our comfort zone.

I'll keep you posted.

Cheers!
Larry~

2 comments:

Sandy said...

What about The Knoll Manor? :-)

Larry said...

You'll just have to wait and see! ;)