Monday, February 25, 2008

Cement, Bricks, and Crap Oh My!

Believe it or not, once I was finished with the front walk (as far as I was going to go anyway) I decided to round up all the small piles of junk cement, bricks and crap from around the yard. Throughout the late summer and fall I had been making little piles of this stuff with the intention of getting rid of them this spring.

Whenever it rains, or I do some yard work, this stuff comes to light. One of the running jokes in the family is that you can't stick a shovel anywhere in the yard without hitting cement, rocks, or bricks. It is frustrating, but it gives further proof that the yard had been landscaped sometime in the 10s 0r 20s. More on that later.

Instead of waiting till spring to clean these piles up, I decided to just go ahead and do it. So I got the old trailer we use for this type of thing from my father and took care of it. I'm sure I'll pay the price tomorrow with a sore back though. But hey - at least it is done.

Can you believe all this junk?! What amazes me is that this is a very small amount of the same type stuff we remove every year!!

Here's a better view of the bigger pieces.

In case you are wondering, all of this is not going to a landfill. Instead it is going out to my brother's property in the country. He is using this stuff to build a path in one of his fields. So, it will go to good use.

The sad thing about it is that there is a lot more of it in the yard. We still have part of the outbuilding we removed a few years ago as well as an old sidewalk and an old slap we have no idea what it was used for.

Cheers!
Larry ~

2 comments:

Sandy said...

Makes my back hurt just to look at all that stuff!

Larry said...

LOL My back really hurts now!! I will do something today though...