Thursday, January 29, 2009

First Look at the Stain

As promised...I said I wouldn't post again until there were photos of stain to show.

So, without further ado here it is.

Right now all that has been stained are these two door ways.

Have any of you ever heard the old adage "never sit too close at the ballet - it ruins the illusion"? Well, this is a good case in point.

For some strange reason the photos of the stain look better than the stain in person!

I've only applied one coat and it looks darker than the sample we based our decision on. Not sure why this is, it's the same recipe and the same wood. Also, the first coat has not been sanded down with steel wool yet. This might lighten it. If you remember, the sample has two coats and a top coat of amber shellac. You can go here to read about it if you like.

There are a few problems and before I proceed I'm going to try and work out a fix. I'm not going to tell you where they're located, but there are some obvious bad spots. I might show you a close-up of the worst problem spots if I can figure out how to fix them first.

Here's another picture.

Is it just me or does it look darker than the first? In the first picture I didn't zoom in, the second one I did. Perhaps this makes it look darker.

One weird thing though... About an hour or two after taken these pictures I went and took another look. The stain actually looks like it has 'mellowed'. The only thing I can figure is that it was dark outside and the lights were on. Who knows what shade the stain will be in the morning!!

It has been pointed out by a friend, as well as by SWMBO, that the stark white walls might be making it look darker. Perhaps, once the paint it up, it will be a completely different shade!!

On a side note. I finally put words to why I 'think' I've been dragging my feet on this staining project. SWMBO's uncle stopped by today and when I was talking to him about it I told him I was dragging my feet because I was afraid of how it would turn out. As long as it isn't done there is always hope that it will turn out great. Once it is done though, the truth will be staring you in the face.

Well, till next time...

Cheers!
Larry

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Color looks beautiful! Was youe sample wood the same age? I can see the slight imperfections. Perhaps the old color was so deep in the grain of the wood that it bled thru. That is what happened to my window. Or perhaps when the door was originally done maybe there was some sap residue that is causing the problem. Anyway I think it is beautiful! Kathy