Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Tornados

Hello everyone,

Well, this is going to be a short post - no pics even.

Just to let you all know, we are still alive and well. Things are going slowly now with the shop. I'm having to reorganize the garage at the same time and shuffle stuff around. The good news is that all the woodworking tools are now in the new woodshop.

Bad news....if y'all have been watching the news lately, my part of the world has been coming under attack by horrendous thunderstorms and straight line wind, not to mention close calls with tornados.

I have spent most of my days cleaning tree branches & limbs, and various other debris out of the yard as well as help a few others who have had trees come down.

I am a weather spotter for the city, as well as CERT trained, and have just received the following bulletin from our city's police chief:


The National Weather Service warns of a possible tornado outbreak in the Great Plains tomorrow with conditions similar to a deadly day in 1974 when 39 tornadoes touched down.

Computer forecasting models resemble those on June 8, 1974, when more than three dozen tornadoes touched down in the southern Plains and killed 22 people, including six in Emporia .

NWS meteorologist Robb Lawson said, "this event warrants more advance warning."

The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration's Storm Prediction Center has been warning for days of the outbreak.

Mike Smith is CEO of WeatherData, a subsidiary of AccuWeather. He said some forecasters are predicting the tornadoes could hit a corridor stretching from northern Oklahoma to central Iowa . That area would include much of Kansas and northwest Missouri .

Smith said, "If you take April dynamics and June thermodynamics, you have a potentially disastrous combination."


In all my years of living in Kansas I have yet to see a warning come out this early for this type of storm. Come to think of it, I can't remember every having a year as full of tornados, high winds, and hail like we have had this year. It is being called "the Perfect Storm" for tornado season.

I don't know what it worse, going through it or waiting for it to happen.

Hopefully I will be able to post by this time Friday to let you all know what has happened.

Till next time...

Cheers!
Larry ~

6 comments:

Sandy said...

I do hope and pray that you and Annette and the critters will be safe. I also hope that no tornados form and all will be safe. I think someone said on our NBC channel that this terrible weather has something to do with El Nina.

Larry said...

Thank you!

I hadn't heard about the El Nina aspect but it would make sense.

Jennifer said...

Good luck... what a weird spring it's been. We had a huge tornado out here in the Colorado... very odd! I hope you all stay safe and that no tornadoes appear ANYWHERE tomorrow.

Larry said...

Yup...very weird.

How close did they get to you?

We had one less than 10 miles away and had 5 waves of sirens go off tonight.

Sandy said...

It's going ugly weather-wise here in a little while. Sigh. Hope all is well at your home.

Larry said...

Thinks are fine here - thank the good Lord above!

I'll be thinking of you tonight!