Monday, September 14, 2009

The Closet and Tortoise Shell

Have you ever had one of those days where you got a lot done but it doesn't look like it? Well, today is one of those days.

Actually, it has been one of those days where your thrilled one minute and bummed the next.

First off, the foyer closet is as finished as it's going to get until we start work on the foyer. This was one of those 'thrilled moments'.

Then, while making repeated trips to the wood shop, I was noticing just how much needs to be done before Winter gets here. Those were the times that 'bummed' me out.

Oh well...time stands still for no one.

Anyway, like I said, the foyer closet is as done as it's going to get for now.

That's SWMBO's cheetah fur coat, also known as the 'rug'. I threw it up there just too see how much floor clearance there was.

Towards the upper right you can sort'a see the part of the plaster that is not finished. Remember, we're not sure if we are going to remove the original plaster or not. When we start on the foyer is when we'll make that decision. I might have to remove it just to do work on the main stairs anyway (let's not go there yet).

The top shelf edging is finished (have I mentioned how cockeyed the angles are in this house?). And the new, lower, shelf is in.

You can also see that the mop board is missing.

Perhaps I should have left the light on so the floor would show up better.

Did any of you know that a vinegar/water mix will remove dry paint off of a wood floor? Seriously - it did. It removed the primer paint that got slopped on it as well as the mudding compound that glopped on the floor and dried. After spending an hour scrubbing the floor with this mix it looks great.

As pointed out, the mop board is missing. I need to either go buy a replacement pattern that mimics (as close as possible) the original or have the original duplicated. As of now, since this is just a closet, all the nice, original, trim will not be put back in. I want to keep these pieces in case a section of molding, in a more visible area, needs to be replaced/repaired.

We do have a custom mill shop on the outskirts of town, I might see if they can duplicate the molding. I need to go talk to them anyway about a counter top for the built in.

The restoration of the light for the powder room continues.

Today I did the best I could to replicate the faux tortoise shell that got chipped off. I don't think I did that bad of a job. If you look close you can see the 'patched' areas.

I really should have used colored glazes to do this (that's what your suppose to use anyway). For such a small patch, however, I couldn't justify $40 for the glaze for such a small project. I really do like faux tortoise shell so I might have to invest in the glazes just to play with at some time.

I will be applying a high-gloss coat to the fixture parts tomorrow so that should help disguise the lack of glaze.

This picture is a lot better - it's harder to see the patches.

Can you see how many there are? There's more than one.

BTW - those little fruit/flower things also needed to be restored. I think I did a decent job blending the new paint with the old.

Well, this is enough for tonight. I'm tired and still have a lot to do.

So...till next time...

Cheers~
Larry

1 comment:

Sandy said...

Awesome! Great tip on the vinegar/water mix. It does a whole miriad of things!

p.s. How did you put your "spot" on Facebook?